Tuesday, December 28, 2004

There is a nice dialogue in the before-mentioned book "The Librarian: Quest for the spear", when Flynn tells his Mom about his first job after having acquired twenty-two academic degrees:
"This is a big day," she said. "So tell me, what's your new job? Sixteen years of college, all those fancy degrees... what are you doing?" Thinking back to his day at the Library, Flynn once again felt that huge smile on his face. "I'm the Librarian," he said. Flynn watched a variety of expressions chase each other across her face - expectant excitement, confusion, dismay, and perhaps a few other emotions as well. "Librarian?" she said. "I mean - librarian! Librarian?" She was obviously stunned. "No, no, you don't understand. This is the greatest job ever," Flynn said. "I've finally found my place." - "Sixteen years of college and you put books on shelves?" Before he could reply, she held up a hand. "No! It's good. You're good with the bookshelving." - "It's more than it sounds. A lot more. I'm not allowed to say how much more, but... if you knew, you'd be really impressed." (S. 59/60)

No comments:

Post a Comment